Tuesday, December 7, 2010

TV free Tuesday


The past week has been a joy and a challenge, but mostly a joy.

Here's what we've done in the past week to keep us busy and without a need for TV:

~This week we finished our winter wonderland village. I'll show I picture when I remember to take one. Willow enjoyed making it so very much. ~We made the watercolor/coffee filter garland, which was not quite as much of a hit as I thought it would be. I might try it another time.
~Willow and I made pomanders. She thinks they stink.
~Built tents out of afghans and ate p.b. off of spoons (Cedar's favorite treat) while we sat underneath and told stories.
~ We made Hanukkah ornaments for our Christmas tree out of popsicle sticks and lots of glitter and gems.
~We went to the farm after a fun little detour of the county and cut our tree.



~ We decorated our tree as a family and enjoyed lots of yummy hot cocoa.
~ We went to the the Dicken's Christmas parade downtown and enjoyed yummy treats. Willow was sad that we didn't get to see Santa (mama and daddy didn't want to spend time waiting in line in the freezing cold. Let me say that again; FREEZING COLD. I tried to compensate by sending her another video (Grammie had already sent one, thanks Grammie!!). Didn't work. So we may be taking a trip to the mall this weekend so she can see that jolly fellow and tell him ("in person!") her requests.
~We made a wreath out of clippings from our front bush.
~ We have baked pies, cookies, and made lots and lots of snacks.
~We had friends over to play!
~We have read more books than I can count and made a trip to the library this morning for more.
~Trains. TV free time in our house equals more time for track building.
~Blocks. They (Daddy Oak included) have discovered a love for blocks this past week. You'll see more when I post about our Hanukkah holiday.
~Lots and lots of painting. Did I say lots? Reminder: I need to get more watercolor paper.


In general lots of songs were sung, many games were played, toys that hadn't been played with for a while were off the shelves.



This week we have the following planned:

~Letter writing to special friends to share the holiday spirit.
~Practice for dance recital and then. . . RECITAL!
~ Building and decorating a gingerbread house.
~Willow and I are going to sew bean bags together for a stocking stuffer for Cedar while he naps one morning.
~The kids got a new puzzle on the 5th night of Hanukkah and it has been keeping them busy, I've been brainstorming some simple game ideas to go along with it.
~ These are also on the agenda.Willow has been chomping at the bit to get to these. Mama finally remembered to buy candy for them this weekend. If only I would have remembered hooks!
~Daddy's spending time working on a gift for the munchkins. A train table! with storage!!!!! shhhhhhhh! :D
~I'm embroidering the rest of the stockings I have neglected over the last few years and working on some new slippers for Willow.


Overall we are all happier and seem to have more time to do the things that we enjoy without the blue screen flashing us into zombie-dom. I have also significantly reduced the amount of time I have spent online and it has been a breath of fresh air. I wasn't spending a large amount online at one time, but it added up throughout the day of a minute here and a minute there. Lunchtime devotionals have become a regular thing again this week and everyone is rejoicing. I hadn't realized how much we NEEDED that time each day.

I began reading the book Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison. It's a good old fashioned dose of just what I needed. It's speaking to my heart and changing it in ways that I wasn't even aware were in need of improvement. Thank you to Kyrie for her suggestion! It has been reminding me to keep it simple, something I have truly been working on this past year and will be again in the next. Simplify!

Until next time, I hope you are having a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment